Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lower Mountain Fork Trip

I was fortunate to spend several days fly fishing the Lower Mountain Fork in Southeastern Oklahoma located in Beaver's Bend Park. I left Sunday evening, June 20th, with a Ducks Unlimited buddy named Grady. This would be Grady's first time to fly fish for Trout, I think I may have gotten him hooked, no pun intended.
We arrived just in time to fish Sunday evening and Grady landed 3 rainbow trout, his first on a fly rod, nymphing with a caddis nymph. We headed back to camp, setup our tent and hung out by the campfire anticipating the next morning. Fishing was slow, probably due to the 97 degree temps, but it was steady enough to keep us going. Dry fly fishing with #18 Blue Wing Olives were the best producers. I caught more brown trout on this trip than ever before, landing 3, all on dry flies. Grady landed his first brown trout, also on a dry fly. After a full day of fishing, Grady and I were both exhausted and headed back to camp.
We awoke Tuesday morning and got back to fishing. That morning we ran into a large Beaver that we saw the previous evening with a baby. I managed to get within a few feet and capture a picture. Fishing was slower Tuesday morning, but we managed to land a few. Grady landed a large rainbow trout, estimated at 3 lbs...much larger than any trout I've landed. Overall, I would say the trip was a blast...and I may have gotten Grady hooked on a new hobby.

Tight Lines,
Brad

No comments: